Making Currency in Path of Exile (Updated for Blight)
Ever struggled to make currency in Path of Exile? Can’t afford that new Unique or Rare to take your build to the next level? No worries!
ISKMogul is here with yet another Path of Exile guide to teach you everything you need to know about getting rich in Wraeclast.
If you want to check out other POE guides while you’re here, check those out below.
There’s a new players guide to POE that lays out the basics of playing this ARPG. If you want a POE 3.8 starter build, that’s here too. We’ve also got a guide about the basics of Legion League and the five Legions if you want that. For you end-game farmers, we’ve even got a guide to mapping in Blight. If you’re leveling a character for the first time and need some help optimizing your item loadout, we got that covered as well. And if you need a refresher on Betrayal League content, we’ve got you. And since Blight is the new League, we just put out a guide on that too.
- Create a Magic Find build. Magic Find increases the Quantity and Rarity of drops. We even have a guide for MF builds to help you out.
- Don’t be afraid to do League mechanics. The league mechanics are a great source of really high-end drops if you engage with them deeply enough. For Legion, look for the named Legion chests during Monolith encounters, these are a gold mine.
- Pick a couple of goals and focus on them. This will allow you to tailor your play style and build choices to what you want to farm.
- Pick the build suited to your particular goal, so if you want to farm Uber Labyrinth, pick a build suited to doing that.
- Always have a good loot filter, Neversink’s Semi-Strict is pretty good as a baseline. You can check out our guide on loot filters for Blight too.
- Prices change over time. As a League ages, prices naturally drop, so what sells for 3 Chaos at the start of the League will sell for less than 1 Chaos after a few weeks. Always price your items accurately using POE.Trade or another tool to make sure that they sell.
You can do these tips pretty easily, and it only gets more profitable if you focus on doing one of these exclusively. Of course, one of the easiest ways to make money in POE is just to play the game. As you kill mobs, items will drop, and there will almost always be currency in those drops. Filtering through the thousands of item drops in POE can really be helped by using a good loot filter.
Knowing Currency values is vital to farming effectively. There are several tools like POE Ninja to assist with checking the values in a given League, so make a habit of checking Currency values consistently, as they always change.
Vendor Recipes are “secret” combinations of items that you can trade to any NPC with the “Sell Items” that will often reward you with useful items or currency. For your convenience, we created a simple guide on some of the more useful vendor recipes.
Rare Gear Drops
Power creep is the trend where new content introduced to a game makes older content less valuable in terms of the meta-game, making it less likely to be run. Power creep is always a problem in online games. And in Path of Exile, the 13-week Leagues create a much more pronounced power creep trend compared to games like World of Warcraft. For this reason, many players advocate only picking up certain gear drops while farming, be that mapping, Delve, or other mechanics. With this in mind, we’ve created a simple list of what to pick up while playing, as it will almost always hold some value. This list assumes you’re using a good loot filter, which will often highlight valuable drops for you, making this process easier.
- Currency – Once you get into Yellow and Red maps, anything below Chaos Orbs or other high value currency usually isn’t worth grabbing if you’re going for efficient play. This comes down to personal choice though.
- Shaper/Elder Rares – These base items only drop in Maps with Shaper or Elder influence, and they have the potential for some really crazy modifiers, always grab these, especially if they’re on highly sought-after bases.
- Highly Valuable Uniques – These “on-meta” Unique Items will always hold value due to them being build-enabling items. Things like Headhunter, Bisco’s Collar, Koam’s Heart and many more fall into this category.
- Maps – Always grab any Map drops, regardless of what Tier they are.
Rare Currency Drops
There are a ton of rare drops in Path of Exile that aren’t gear items. These Currency items always have a use, but may not be always worth picking up. Every second you spend clicking a Wisdom Scroll, Transmutation, Whetstone etc has an opportunity cost. Additionally, a filter that shows too much will clog your screen and obstruct your view of monsters, which could put you in potentially dangerous situations.
Divination Cards and Prophecies
Prophecies are a random roll when you trade 1 Silver Coin to Navali, these are reliant on RNG, so the rarer and more useful Prophecies are quite valuable. If you manage to get a Prophecy worth more than a few Chaos, Seal it and save it. If you get lucky enough to get one of the really expensive Prophecies worth several Exalted Orbs, it may be worth keeping for your own characters, especially if it happens to be Fated Connections.
The general idea is to keep your Prophecy board filled up to the brim, clearing off any prophecies you don’t want to run by Sealing them. If you’re low on Silver Coins, you can always trade for more using the in-game economy since these Coins are relatively cheap.
Divination Cards are a lot easier to manage, just pick any that drop up. Again a good loot filter should highlight the best ones, making them easier to find. A Divination Cards Stash Tab is also super helpful in managing your growing collection.
Farming maps and running them as efficiently as possible is hands down the easiest way to make currency in POE. Map customization and farming strategies are incredibly complex, and often require quite a bit of currency investment to maximize potential. As a new player, you should focus on learning map and boss mechanics, as well as increasing your Atlas completion percentage. As you get further in the game, and complete more content, you get more comfortable with spending currency customizing maps for maximum gain. The general idea is to increase Pack Size and Item Quantity on your maps to maximize loot drop potential. Here’s a basic strategy for doing that:
- White Maps – Tiers 1 -5 – Upgrade to Magic using Transmutations and Augmentations, avoiding any map modifiers that might kill you, like Reflect.
- Yellow Maps – Tiers 6-10 – Upgrade to Rare using Alchemy and Chaos, avoiding any map modifiers that might kill you, like Reflect. For added Quantity and Pack Size, Vaal them, hoping for 8 modifiers.
- Red Maps – Tiers 11 -16 –
- Upgrade to Rare using Alchemy and Chaos, avoiding any map modifiers that might kill you, like Reflect. For added Quantity and Pack Size, Vaal them, hoping for 8 modifiers.
- Map Master encounters are also great sources of extra mechanics for loot. Alva and the Incursion mechanics are a strong contender next to Nico and Delving for best currency farming.
The Azurite Mine was introduced in Path of Exile 3.4 and the Delve League. This endless end-game system allows players to blitz their way through endless areas, each node containing incredibly valuable loot like Currency, Fossils, Resonators and other goodies. To save time, go take a look at our Delve Guide to see how all of this works, as well as how to maximize farming this content.
These are always worth popping, although if you’re using special strategies to maximize value, like ones in the video below, you can gain quite a bit of valuable loot from them. We’ve included the names of the best Strongboxes down below. Be careful though, as these can be quite dangerous if they Freeze you or Explode Corpses. As an additional note, save your Alchemy and Vaal Orbs for the most valuable Strongboxes.
Crafting is an incredibly in-depth topic in POE, so we’re going to have to condense the topic down a bit for the purposes of this guide.
The general idea with crafting or selling items on the in-game market is split three ways in most cases. You’re either creating high-end items that top-tier players are buying copies of via Mirror services, you’re creating decent loot by modifying good base items, or you’re grabbing decent loot and selling it to the players who are not as far along in content as you. Most players will fall into the latter two categories as high-end crafting is very currency intensive. With that said, there are a few tricks to make easy currency throughout the course of a league.
To craft efficiently, you must learn how the modifiers on various items work, which is luckily something the POE community has already done for us.
Crafting Socketed Jewels
Jewels, especially Abyss Jewels, are items that can be inserted into special slots on the passive skill tree, granting bonuses like increased defensive and offensive stats. These are incredibly powerful, and very costly, with the best stats, so crafting them is pretty simple and very easy currency.
This basic premise is to use Transmutations and Alterations on Jewels with an item level above 80 to create a good base Magic, then use a Regal to upgrade it to Rare, adding additional modifiers. This is really easy to do while mapping, and makes for good currency. It will also help newer players learn to pay attention to the meta-game. This is because you need to learn what skills are in-demand in a League, and then craft Jewels around those skills to make good gains.
Skill Gems are always in demand in POE, so if you want easy currency, level these up to Level 20 and flip them.
Path of Exile has a weapon switching system that allows you to hold a second weapon in reserve. This is great for leveling Skill Gems as they passively gain EXP despite not being used. Take a look at the most used Skills in a League, and level the Gems that fit with your character using this trick. Keep in mind that Gems have stat requirements, so Strength-based characters should level Strength (Red) Gems, Intelligence-based characters should level Intelligence (Blue) Gems, and Dexterity-based characters should level Dexterity (Green) Gems.
Be aware that you can trade a Level 20 Gem with 1 Gemcutter’s Prism to a Vendor to get back a Level 1 version with 20% quality. This can be useful for leveling Gems, as 20% Quality Gems fetch a higher price.
ISKMogul is a growing video game publication that got its start covering EVE Online, and has since expanded to cover a large number of topics and niches within the purview of gaming.