The Landmarks are some of the most important buildings in the game. This new sequel has added a bunch of new and revamped mechanics to the game. Veteran players might recognize some things, but a lot has been altered. Trading Posts and Relics are back, but the developers have added a bunch more. Aside from the shiny new visuals, there’s a lot of gameplay tweaks to learn.
Here’s the basic breakdown: Age I is the Dark Age, Age II is the Feudal Age, Age III is the Castle Age, and Age IV is the Imperial Age. Each civilization in the game can get to all four ages, but there are some differences. This mainly comes down to landmarks in Age of Empires IV. These powerful buildings offer huge bonuses to your economy and military.
To build each one, you need to spend a certain amount of resources:
- Feudal Age – Age 2 – 400 food, 200 gold
- Castle Age – Age 3 – 1200 food, 600 gold
- Imperial Age – Age 4 – 2400 food, 1200 gold
Landmarks are notable locations that have a few different actions attached to them. A landmark is a massive structure that you need to build to advance your civilization to the next Age. Each one has its faction-specific effects. You can get bonuses to resources or reductions to unit costs as a common buff.
Some factions only have one Landmark per Age, although some empires can alter their path by choosing from a few options. For example, the Chinese Empire can choose to create the Barcian of the Sun, or the Imperial Academy. Each landmark has a distinct visual style and certain bonuses attached to it. This guide will make it clear what each one does, and how to get it.
All Landmarks in Age of Empires IV
Here’s a full list of all the current landmarks in Age of Empires IV. We’ve included a rundown of what each one does. There’s also a couple of factions that have unique mechanics around their Landmarks, let’s talk about those first.
Tha Abbasid are a very unique faction in AoE 4. You need to build the House of Wisdom to unlock the next Age with them, this costs 50 Wood. When you do this, you will unlock the option to add on four different wings. These Wings are effectively Abbasid Landmarks, with their bonuses listed below.
- Economic Wing
- Fresh Foodstuffs (Feudal Age): Villagers can be produced for 50% reduced costs.
- Agriculture (Castle Age): Villagers gather a bit faster from farms.
- Improved Processing (Imperial Age): Villagers drop off slightly more resources per run.
- Military Wing
- Camel Support (Feudal Age): Camels increase the armor of nearby infantry by +1
- Camel Rider Shields (Castle Age): Grant camel riders shields, improving their melee armor by +3.
- Boot Camp (Imperial Age): Increase the health of all infantry units by 15%.
- Culture Wing
- Preservation of Knowledge (Feudal Age): Reduce the cost of all research by 30%.
- Medical Centers (Castle Age): Keeps heal nearby units for +2 health every 1 second.
- Faith (Imperial Age): imams can convert units without holding a relic, but can only target a single unit.
- Trade Wing
- Spice Roads (Feudal Age): 30% bonus to Traders.
- Armored Caravans (Castle Age): +5 Armor bonus to all ships and Traders.
- Grand Bazaar (Imperial Age): Applies a second bonus resource to Trader turn-ins, equal to 25% of the value of gold deposited.
The Chinese are another unique empire in terms of Landmarks in AoE 4. They can branch out a lot more by choosing to build another landmark, as long as they didn’t use the new one to advance the previous Age. For example, if you choose to build the Barbican of the Sun to move to the Feudal Age, you’ll also be able to build the Imperial Academy once you reach the Feudal Age.
- Barbican of the Sun — Defensive
- Has strong cannon and defensive arrows. Can offer sight into heavily forested areas.
- Imperial Academy — Economic
- Nearby buildings generate 100% more Tax.
- Imperial Palace — Economic
- Can essentially scan the nearby area for any enemy units.
- Astronomical Clocktower — Military
- Acts as a Siege Workshop and produces siege engines with 50% more base health.
- Great Wall Gatehouse — Defensive
- Increases health of stone walls and gates by 100%. Also increases the effectiveness of nearby melee units.
- Spirit Way — Military
- 30% reduction to unit build cost for nearby buildings. All Empire buildings can create any previously unlocked unit.
- Tower of Victory — Military Landmark
- 15% bonus to attack speed to all melee and ranged units who are within range.
- Dome of the Faith — Religious
- Produce scholars at -50% cost using this building
- House of Learning — Technology
- Unlocks unique Learning and Religious options.
- Compound of the Defender — Defensive
- Infantry units can build stone walls, gates, and towers. Reduces cost of built buildings in this way by 25%.
- Palace of the Sultan — Religious
- Automatically produces War Elephants. Place Scholars here to produce units faster.
- Hisar Academy — Technology
- Generates food
- Council Hall — Military Landmark
- Produce Longbowmen at 100% speed, also unlocks unique upgrades.
- Abbey of Kings — Religious Landmark
- Heals all nearby friendly units by +4 every 1.5 seconds.
- The White Tower — Defensive Landmark
- Acts as a Keep with no extra bonuses.
- King’s Palace — Economic Landmark
- Acts as a Town Center with no extra bonuses.
- Berkshire Palace — Defensive Landmark
- Acts as a keep with no extra bonuses. Berkshire Palace has 50% greater weapon range and can fire more defensive arrows.
- Wynguard Palace — Military Landmark
- Produce specialized armies made up of certain units at a reduced cost. Each army includes a total of five units, one of each type for ranged and melee.
- School of Cavalry — Military
- Acts as a Stable. All of your Stables produce units +20% faster.
- Chamber of Commerce — Economic
- Acts as a Market. All traders and trade ships return +30% more resources to any Market or Dock.
- Royal Institute — Military
- Houses all technologies unique to the French faction. 20% discount on Technology and Age unlocks.
- Guild Hall — Economic
- Generates random basic resources over time. As more are banked, more can be generated with a speed bonus.
- Red Palace —Defensive
- Acts as a Keep. Has powerful cannons, and each unit Garrisoned acts as more cannon.
- College of Artillery — Military
- Unlocks upgraded Royal Artillery, which spawn with a 20% damage bonus.
Holy Roman Empire
- Meinwerk Palace — Military
- Acts like a Blacksmith. Technology researched here costs -25% less.
- Aachen Chapel — Religious
- Inspires units in a large radius so long as a prelate is garrisoned.
- Burgrave Palace — Military
- Acts as a Barracks that produces 4 infantry per cycle.
- Regnitz Cathedral — Religious
- Can hold 3 Relics, offers a 200% bonus to all Relic Gold generation inside.
- Palace of Swabia — Economic
- Acts as a Town Center. Produces villagers +75% faster and -75% cheaper. Cost to build this Landmark is reduced by -20%.
- Elzbach Palace — Defensive
- Acts as a Keep with a 50% health bonus. 33% less damage is dealt to nearby friendly buildings.
- Deer Stones — Military
- Upon completion, instantly grants the Yam Network technology. Also applies a speed buff to units.
- The Silver Tree — Economic
- A market that can spawn Traders +50% faster and at a -50% reduced gold cost.
- Kurultai — Military
- Kurultai heals all nearby damaged units and provides a +25% damage bonus for 30 seconds, but only when Khan is nearby.
- Steppe Redoubt — Economic
- Applies a 50% bonus to any gold dropped off here by villagers.
- Khaganate Palace — Military
- Spawns a cavalry army of horsemen, mangudai, or lancers every 90 seconds.
- The White Stupa — Economic
- Can produce 240 stone regardless of where it’s placed.
- The Golden Gate — Economic
- Every minute, players can exchange resources at a discounted rate.
- Kremlin —Defensive
- Acts as a Wooden Fortress that includes the next Age of defensive technology
- High Trade House — Economic
- Generates gold with a major bonus to value generated.
- Abbey of the Trinity — Religious
- Acts as a Monastery. Can produce warrior monks at half the cost contains unique religious technologies.
- Spasskaya Tower — Defensive
- Acts as a Keep with all weapon emplacements already in place and with increased health.
- High Armory — Military
- Decrease the cost of siege engines in nearby Siege Workshops by -20%. Contains unique siege engine technologies