The trident in Minecraft is an exotic weapon, it can be thrown at your enemies, used as a melee weapon, as well as use it to zip through the water at high speeds. It is a versatile weapon. But, it can be a little difficult to locate while running around the game. There aren’t many options available to you to acquire the weapon. They cannot be crafted, instead, it can be acquired from the drowned, the zombie-like underwater creatures or a zombie turned into a drowned.
You still won’t have the best chances of the trident dropping from them. The chances are relatively slim, but your chances can be increased by having the lotting enchantment on your person. Your overall chances increase with each level of looting. There’s an 8.5% chance of lotting it if you see a drowned carrying it. There’s a natural 11% chance of it dropping, with every level of the looting enchantment increasing the chance by two percent for a total of 17% chance.
You will not be able to pick up a thrown trident. So, when a drowned throws it at you and misses, you won’t be able to go pick it up and claim it. It works similarly to arrows.
A trident in Minecraft that’s looted will have random durability, but it can be repaired by combining two tridents at an anvil. You can also use the mending enchantment and add points to its durability by lotting experience points.
For those who want to enhance their trident, you can use it at an enchantment table or anvil and it can receive the following enchantments:
- Riptide: Launches yourself forward while wielding the trident if you’re underwater or in the rain.
- Channeling: Summons a powerful lightning bolt at a target in front when throwing the trident in the rain.
- Impaling: Increases your attack damage when fighting aquatic creatures, such as dolphins, guardians, and turtles.
- Loyalty: Your trident now returns to your hands after tossing it without having to go grab it.
- Mending: The durability of the weapon restores after picking experience orbs.
- Unbreaking: There’s a change the weapon does not suffer any durability loss when being used.
Because the tridents are looted, they normally have low durability, so the mending and unbreaking enchantments are desirable options. These will prevent you from having to collect new tridents in Minecraft over and over again. The durability values are random, and only 15% (6.25% in Java Edition) of drowned spawn with them, so you’re going to need a few of them to have a shot at one with decent durability.