Giovanni appears to still be a major threat in Pokémon Go. The boss has begun adventuring across the globe, trying to catch a legendary Pokémon and use it for his own nefarious purposes. With the launch of the first event this month, The Shadowy Threat Grows starts with Team GO Rocket grunts having once again sewn chaos in the world.
Professor Willow has issued a new set of research tasks for players to complete as a result of this development. Ultimately players will be taking on Giovanni himself and possibly capturing a Shadow Entei.
If you’re coming into this event fresh, there’s a lot of work to be done for unlocking this event and its various rewards. First, you need to complete the events, A Professor’s Work is Never Done and A Troubling Situation, to gain access to this new research goal. The Shadowy Threat Grows also has a bevy of different tasks to undertake within it, each one offering various bundles of XP and other compensation.
Here’s a quick breakdown of each phase of the event. Each of these requirements centers around the core theme of The Shadowy Threat Grows research event, primarily centered around Shadow Pokémon. Players will have to complete each of these in order to gain each phase of rewards. And remember, Niantic often hands out special rewards for the best contributors to special secret goals.
Each stage will have the player also doing battle against Team GO Rocket grunts. as well as using the Rocket Radar to target and purify Shadow Pokémon. Hardcore players will want to jump right into these tasks as thousands of XP, Stardust and other gifts are up for grabs.
- Catch one shadow Pokémon – 500 XP
- Defeat three Team GO Rocket Grunts – 500 XP
- Spin 10 PokéStops – Golem Encounter
- Total reward: 500 stardust, 10 Pokéballs, and 10 Razz Berries
- Purify five Shadow Pokémon – 750 XP
- Spin a PokéStop three days in a row – 750 XP
- Win five raids – 750 XP
- Total reward: 1,000 stardust, three hyper potions, and three revives
- Defeat 6 Team GO Rocket Grunts – 1,000 XP
- Use six supereffective Charge Attacks in Gym Battles – 1,000 XP
- Win three Great League trainer battles against another trainer – 1,000XP
- Total reward: 1,500 stardust, 15 great balls, five Pinap berries
- Defeat Team GO Rocket Leader Arlo – 1,250 XP
- Defeat Team GO Rocket Leader Cliff – 1,250 XP
- Defeat Team GO Rocket Leader Sierra – 1,250 XP
- Battle the Team GO Rocket Boss – 1,500 XP
- Defeat the Team GO Rocket Boss – three silver Pinap berries
- Find the Team Go Rocket Boss – 2,500 stardust
- Total reward: 3,000 stardust, one fast TM, one charged TM
- Claim all rewards: 6,000 XP
- Total rewards: Three max revives, 20 ultra balls, and three rare candies