Pokemon Go Season 4 Battle League is about to begin soon with Great League, and Niantic hs put out the details of what’s changing compared to season 3. A new addition this season comes to us in the form of several themed cups for Trainers to compete in. These themed events will be open to all competing in the main leagues, and will offer unique bonuses for doing well.
The first of these is the new Halloween Cup, which will run from Monday, October 26, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) to Tuesday, November 3, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8). In this format, only Poison, Ghost, Bug, Dark, and Fairy-type Pokémon will be allowed to compete. Expect more of these as 2020 rolls on.
In older leagues, you needed to gain entry. To do that, you had first walk 3km in-game to get in. Each time you “bank” another 3km of distance, you unlock five battles. You can partake in up to 15 battles in Battle League per day. You could also spend 100 PokeCoins to make that meter charge faster. In Season 4 though, that limit has been removed, and you can battle at your leisure.
Pokemon Go Season 4 Battle League Changes
These are the details that won’t be changing in Battle League Season 4.
- There’s no walking requirement to participate in Battle League battles
- The Friendship level requirement for battling remotely remains to be Good Friends
- Pikachu Libre items will remain rank 7 rewards
- The avatar items inspired by Blue from the Pokémon RPGs remain as Rank 10 rewards
- The following win rewards and Pokémon reward encounters are the same from Season 3:
- Pidgeot starting at rank 1
- Galarian Zigzagoon starting at rank 4
- Galarian Farfetch’d starting at rank 7
- Rufflet starting at rank 8
- Scraggy starting at rank 9
- Pikachu Libre starting at rank 10
Niantic has also made some shuffles to rewards for Pokemon Go Season 4 Battle League.
- Ranks 2-9 have had their battle requirements altered, with a certain number of wins for each rank.
- 3,000 Rating is still required to achieve Rank 10, much like other seasons.
- Rewards for Ranks 1-3 will be Stardust.
- Rewarded with Stardust, TMs, and a Raid Pass from rank 4 to rank 10.
- Rank 10 unlocks a unique avatar pose.
- You can earn an Elite Charged TM for finishing Season 4 at Rank 7 or higher, this is changed from the Elite Fast TM from last season.
There will likely be much less focus on in-person requirements for events and such this season. Mostly due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic making it very hard to move around in public and in large groups. So the changes coming to Pokemon Go Season 4 Battle League shouldn’t be too drastic, and what we can see above reinforces this.
Pokémon Move Changes
There are a few move changes on the slate for this round, with certain moves getting nerfed. Bug Buzz will now confer a reduction in defenses for the target. Flame Charge has had its damage reduced and will raise attack stats for the user. Signal Beam got a lot of attention, as it will lower the defending Pokémon’s attack and defense stats. Additionally, Vespiquen can now learn to use Signal Beam as a charge move.
Overall, the move changes will push the Signal Beam move down into the lower tiers of power, possibly making them less viable beyond the Great League. The other moves definitely have a tiny bit more utility now thanks to the stats changes.
Battle League Season 4 Schedule
Season 4 starts on September 14 with the Great League. Here’s how long it lasts, and how long until the other leagues are available.
- Great League runs from September 14 to September 28 starting at 1 PM PT. All Pokémon will have to abide by a 1,500 CP limit.
- The Go Battle Night and the Flying Cup will take place on Thursday, September 24th from 6 PM to 11:59PM local time. That gives players a chance to break out some new teams and test them out in Type-restricted battles.
- Ultra League and Premier Cup are up next, going from September 28 to October 12 starting at 1 PM PT. All Pokémon will have to abide by a 2,500 CP limit. You are also restricted from using Legendary or Mythic Pokémon in any later cups. That means Ultra, Premier and Master Leagues.
- Speaking of Master, Master League and its Premier Cup are up next from October 12 to October 26 starting at 1 PM PT. No CP limit is enforced here, but the monster restrictions are still there.
- The Halloween Cup caps off Season 4 starting on October 26 until November 3 starting at 1 PM PT. Season 5 will begin Monday, November 9, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8).
Following the Halloween Cup on November 3, all three leagues and the Premier Cup will be available from November 3 until November 9, starting at 1 PM PT, and Season 5 begins on November 9. The date for Season 5 may change, but this is the set date right now. Trainers will want to make sure they jump into the Halloween Cup at the end of the money. It will be an opportunity for trainers to earn Pokémon with Halloween costumes, and potentially unlock access to Mega Gengar for those complete the Timed Research released alongside.
There’s a lot of happening in Pokémon Go’s Battle League Season 4. Make sure you don’t miss out on your chance to reach rank 10 and receive the numerous rewards for your hard work in each league.