Cheating in games is a long-held tradition. Some do it to get an edge in multiplayer, and others just want to have fun. For more complex PC games, there’s also the wish to learn the game. Or, maybe you’re a modder and want to debug some code you wrote in-game. Some games make this much easier than others. With this guide on Hearts of Iron IV cheats, you’ll be debugging with the best of them.
Paradox loves their modding community, and has put a ton of Hearts of Iron IV cheats and console commands into their game. The WW2 sim has a ton of depth and a very active modding scene. For that reason, these console commands see a lot of use. Some cheats are quite powerful, and can turn a game around. Other Hearts of Iron IV cheats are more for debugging and fixing other issues. Once you learn how to use these console commands, you can become pretty proficient at fixing things. Have some map gore? Console commands can fix that.
Some notes about using these codes. There are a couple of things you need to use most of them—first you need a country tag, which can be obtained by using the TDEBUG command. Enter that command or any other into the in-game console (Which is accessed by pressing ~) and it will put the game into debug mode. The country tag, province IDs and other details can be seen by hovering the mouse over a given province. You will need the tag for any console command that involves switching between nations, or adding political influence.
For example, if you wanted to add Communist influence to Great Britain you might use the code add_party_popularity ENG communist 10. You could also tag ENG and then use the add_party_popularity communist 10 code while in control of them, Just be sure to tag back into your desired nation before unpausing the game.
Also, there are certain codes affected by mods being used. For example, a mod that changes the default ideology names will not work with the default tags like communist or neutrality. You need to use the right ideology tag from the mod files for relevant commands to work in these cases.
All Current Hearts of Iron IV Cheats and Console Commands
Here are the most commonly used codes for this game. These console commands must be entered as seen, although some can be shortened.
- gain_xp [amount] – The selected general or field marshal will get the specified amount of XP
- cp [amount] – Add a certain amount of Command Points to your Pool
- st [amount] – Add stability (up to a max of 100%). Remove stability by using a negative number.
- ws [amount] – Add war support (up to a max of 100%). Remove support by using a negative number.
- allowtraits – Allows for the free assignment of general traits to any general.
- add_equipment [amount] [equipment name] – Adds the specified amount of the certain equipment, as long as the equipment is reasearched.
- add_latest_equipment [amount] – Adds the specific amount of all technologies to the player stockpile.
- whitepeace [country tag] [country tag] – This will immediately enforce a white peace between the two specified country tags
- teleport [province id] – Instantly teleport selected ships or armies to the specified province id.
- allowdiplo – Allows you to use any diplomatic action (e.g. declaring war) without justification.
- instantconstruction – The building construction queue will instantly finish. Any actions queued with this enabled will also instantly complete.
- instanttraining (it) – Instantly trains divisions and ships.
- agency.instantslotunlock – Removes all delays between agency recruits.
- agency.autocomplete – Completes all agency upgrades
- research [slot id / ‘all’] – This can be used to research all equipment, or just a single specific tech.
- research_on_icon_click – Use this to instantly research any technology the player clicks on.
- annex [country tag] – Annex the territory of a country to the currently controlled country. Great for cleaning up map gore.
- winwars – Gain maximum warscore for every conflict, pushing forward peace decisions and focuses.
- manpower [amount] – Gain the specified amount of manpower for your nation.
- tag [country tag] – Use this to change the nation controlled by the player
- observe – Places the player into observation mode, where the player can preview all other countries.
- setowner [country tag] [state id] – Change ownership of a state to the specified nation.
- setcontroller [country tag] [province id] – Change controller of a state to a specified nation.
- xp [amount] – Gain the specified amount of experience to all pools (Army, Navy, and Air)
- pp [amount] – Give the current player nation a set amount of Political Power.
- civilwar [ideology] [country tag] – Trigger a civil war within a country, with the specified ideology: ‘fascism’, ‘democratic’, ‘neutrality’, and ‘communism’.
- add_party_popularity [ideology group] [amount] – Adds the specified amount of popularity to the specified party, same options as above.
- set_ruling_party [ideology group] – Sets the specified ideology group as the ruling party: ‘f’ (fascism), ‘d’ (democratic), ‘n’ (neutrality) and ‘c’ (communism).
- Focus.AutoComplete (fa) – Allows the entire game to instantly complete any National Focus.
- focus.nochecks – Allows the player and AI to ignore focus requirements.
- focus.ignoreprerequisites – Allows the player and AI to ignore focus prerequisites.
- decision.nochecks – Allows the player and AI to ignore decision requirements.
- nuke [amount] – Adds the specified amount of nukes to controlled country’s arsenal.
- yesman – Causes country AI to automatically accept any diplomatic offers. They may reverse them though, especially if they wouldn’t normally accept.
- deleteallunits [country tag] – Deletes all armies and fleets of the specified nation.
- fronts – Toggles the visibility of foreign fronts.
- traderoutes – Toggles the visibility of trade routes.
- debug_tactics – Toggles the visibility of the tactics debug tooltip.
- Nomapicons – Toggles the visibility of icons in the map.
- Nopausetext – Toggles the visibility of the pause menu.
- morehumans [amount] – Adds more humans. Use a negative number to subtract.
- add_autonomy [country tag] [amount] – Adds or subtracts from the specified country’s autonomy level.
- add_interest [country tag] – Adds the specified country tag to your interest.
- remove_interest [country tag] – Removes the specified country tag from your interest.
- fow – Toggles fog of war on/off. You can also specify a province ID to just toggle fow in one place.
- savegame – Forces a save.
- add_core [state id] [country tag] – Adds the specified state as a ‘core’ of the specified country.
- moveunit [unit id] [province id] – Move the specified unit to the specified province.
- Weather – turn on or off weather effects
- Instant_wargoal – Allows the triggering of War Goals without justification or warscore requirements.
There are a couple of things to note about Hearts of Iron IV cheats, notably how they affect the AI. Any cheat that allows for altering the gamestate has a chance to affect the AI. So far, a few different console commands can apply their bonuses to the AI. It’s best to pause the game’s calendar any time you wish to use Hearts of Iron IV cheats and console commands.
Here are the codes that affect the HOI IV AI:
- Focus.AutoComplete (fa)
That’s all we know right now about these cheat codes and console commands.