At the very start of the game you will have very little to your name, from there you must build up your clan and raise their standing in the world. Your Viking clan will start to gain renown pretty quickly, as you complete missions. The game will begin throwing a ton of quests and factions at you, and a bunch of choices will impact the path of the story.
One of the things you will notice is that there are a bunch of resources scattered around as well. These are all pretty important for your Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Settlement. As you get more raw resources and Supplies, you need to spend them on something. You will need 400 supplies and 30 raw materials to upgrade the settlement the first time.
Managing Territoires and Increasing Renown
There are a bunch of things you need to keep track of when dealing with your Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Settlement. Renown is a big part of this system. Your Renown is tied to the level of overall upgrades you have unlocked. There are six levels in all, each with their own upgrades attached. The top level most players will get into early in the game is Hamlet, or level 3.
Once you hit a certain level of Renown, you will unlock the Alliance Table. You will use this to swear allegiance to certain regions of the game world, and then allow you to focus on missions in that area. More territories will be available as you progress through the main story of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. The regions you have unlocked are also pegged to certain other regions. For example, you’ll only be able to pledge allegiance to Ledecestrescire and Grantebridgescire at the beginning of the game, but completing both these territories will open up Lunden, Oxeneforescire, and East Anglia.
All Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Settlement Upgrades
At level one, you have a few basic upgrades that you can build, but you will very much want to move beyond that as soon as possible. Each upgrade costs the same as the initial purchase for the upgrade in terms of resources.
- Hidden Ones Bureau – You need this to unlock a unique storyline. You will be given various missions to assassinate certain targets for unique rewards. After you pledge allegiance on the Alliance map, Hytham will appear at the Hidden Ones Bureau. Speak with him and then you can build the Hidden Ones Bureau. Once unlocked, the first mission unlocks the Leap of Faith.
- Stable and Aviary – You can use this to apply customization and cosmetics to your Mount and Raven.
- Trading Post – You can purchase raw materials, unique items and plenty of upgrades to give yourself an edge. Very useful for high-level raids.
- Barracks – The Barracks let you manage your Viking crew, but they also let you create your very own Jomsviking, an elite viking mercenary. This is basically your online avatar, which can be recruited by other players.
You can then further upgrade your settlement once you have progressed the story and added more options to your clan. Each upgrade costs the same as the initial purchase for the upgrade in terms of resources. Once you’ve done this, the list of new features below become available to build for 600 supplies and 45 raw materials:
- Shipyard – Customize your viking longship with cosmetics throughout the game.
- Museum – Unlocks a museum collector, with whom you can trade Roman Artifacts for material rewards.
- Brewery – Increases the effect of the Feast buff with +25 Health.
- Bakery – Another +25 Health buff added to the Fest buff.
- Fishing Hut – Unlocks the Fishing Line for use. You can trade deliveries of fresh fish for material rewards.
- Tattoo Shop – You can change out tattos that you unlock to give the main character various boosts.
There are even more upgrades to be unlocked. Each upgrade costs the same as the initial purchase for the upgrade in terms of resources. At Settlement rank three, you can build the upgrades below for 800 supplies and 60 raw materials:
- Cartographer – The Cartographer can provide you with maps to collectibles like Roman Artifacts and resources.
- Cattle Farm – Improves the Feast Buff and grants a +3 bonus to ranged damage as well.
- Grain Farm – Improves the Feast Buff with a +3 bonus to defense.
- Alvis and Holger’s House – Improves the Feast Buff yet again, adding in +3.8 assassination damage boost.
- Fowl Farm – Chickens roost here, giving a +3 melee damage boost when he has the buff.