Diablo 2, being a classic CRPG, has a lot of different mechanics. If you didn’t grow up playing this game, some of them might be a bit esoteric. And even if you did play it, it may have been a long time. So in that case, let’s go over something that seems a lot of players don’t know about. The Shrines and Wells in Diablo 2: Resurrected might be something you noticed in your time with the game. Let’s go over what they do.
Shrines and Wells in Diablo 2: Resurrected do have a use, although you might not know it. Shrines can be found randomly around the maps of the game’s various acts. Each one confers a certain buff on the player character when interacted with. These buffs are somewhat random, and take some time to figure out. Here is a quick rundown of how Shrines in Diablo 2: Resurrected work.
Shrines can generate anywhere in any map in Diablo II, and can have randomized buffs. Wells do spawn anywhere too, but don’t have a random buff. Wells always refill your mana pool or heal you, depending on the color.
Shrine Buffs by Type
There are many different types of Shrines in Diablo 2. Depending on the type of Shrine, you will get a certain buff. The buff is generated at the same time as the map, so each map can have random shrines in it. Here are the common Shrines in Diablo 2: Resurrected and what each one does.
- Armor – For 96 seconds, the player gains +100% to their defense.
- Combat – Players gain an attack rating boost of 200% for 96 seconds.
- Experience – For 144 seconds, this shrine offers players the chance to earn 50% more experience per kill.
- Fireball – Spews fireballs in random directions, emanating from the Shrine itself.
- Gem – This shrine either upgrades a random gem or skull in your inventory. The target is random. If you have neither, you get one chipped gem or skull added to your inventory. Anything in the Horadric Cube is unaffected.
- Mana Sustain – You gain a 400% faster mana recharge rate for 96 seconds.
- Monster Boost – This Shrine upgrades nearby monsters to Champion or Unique rarity.
- Poison – Applies a poison gas cloud to the local area, dealing 5-10 damage per tick.
- Portal – Opens a town portal for that act.
- Potion Dispenser – This Shrine will dispense a bunch of 5-10 Exploding Potions to the player, as well as spawning more of them nearby.
- Refill – This Shrine will refill one random bar, working just like a rejuvenation, mana, or health potion
- Resists – During a 144 second period, the player character will be +75% resistant to one damage type. Possible rolls include fire, cold, lightning, or poison.
- Skill – Adding +2 to each Dexterity, Strength, Vitality, and Energy skill level for 96 seconds.
- Stamina – Players gain 200 seconds worth of unlimited Stamina.