CD Projekt Red has announced some new details about the story, as well as a short teaser trailer, for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales. The singleplayer section of the Gwent card game, which was separated off from the multiplayer version to allow a greater story focus.
The game is putting a huge emphasis on story – “with more than 30 hours of story, over 75 side quests, and — at the same time — a game that lets you lead an army into previously unexplored places in the Witcher universe”, according to CD PROJEKT. Adding all of that in with multi-layered tactics of Gwent gameplay makes this sound like a card game for the ages, and I personally hope it delivers on that promise.
The teaser itself doesn’t reveal much of this underlying story, ostensibly because the developers want to save as much content from being spoiled as possible. We do see some mysterious politicking and some shady deals. We also see plenty of violence, because if there’s one pair of things perfectly fitted to describe The Witcher, it’s politics and violence.
Check out the teaser down below. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales will release on October 23. One other cool announcement about this game is that there’s no locking of content behind a ludicrously-priced paywall. Anyone who buys the game will get the following content:
- Official Thronebreaker Soundtrack
- Digital version of GWENT: Art of The Witcher Card Game artbook from Dark Horse
- Concept art, including the map of Lyria
- The Witcher graphic novel “Fox Children” by Dark Horse
- 2 in-game GWENT: The Witcher Card Game Player Titles
- 2 in-game GWENT: The Witcher Card Game Player Avatars
- 5 premium kegs for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game