Starsector is one of those special indie games that deserves a lot more attention than it gets. Starting out in any number of starts, you can take on the role of a pirate, salvaged or fleet commander within a living star sector. With dozens of systems to explore and an entire storyline around building your stellar empire, the vanilla game alone has a ton of stellar fun to be had. Add into that chaotic mix the modding scene, and there’s everything from new ships and factions, to a mountain of new missions, to fool around with. The new version of the game,
Starsector 0.95.1a, has debuted. The new version will see a shift towards a more living universe in-game with more dynamism added to hyperspace travel being a core focus. The developer announced the new patch via an update on their site. Being a more minor polish and bugfix release, gameplay changes are pretty light.
Check out the overview of the patch notes down below.
- Skill system changed for more flexible builds with more options
- Several new game-changing top-tier skills, and other new skills
- All skills can be re-specced, no more “permanent” skills
- New ships: Eradicator-class Fast Cruiser, Manticore-class Destroyer, Vanguard-class Frigate
- Missions show the mission target location prior being accepted
- Dynamic slipstreams that enable quick and efficient travel in hyperspace
- Sensor ghosts in hyperspace!
- Improved early access to ships and weapons through arms dealers
- Phase cloak changes to make phase ships easier to deal with if they’re outmatched
- Ship AI improvements; ability to issue a “defend” order targeting a friendly ship
- Various balance changes to improve variety
- Modding improvements
- Assorted bugfixing, polish, and numerous quality-of-life improvements