Grand Theft Auto Online has been a huge cashcow for Rockstar. Despite the age of the base game, it has been able to rake in millions of dollars from the various releases across PC and console generations. Players have been complaining about the lack of updates and new content, often saying that the game lacks a true next-gen feel. That’s a pretty common complaint about older titles that get ported forward to the Xbox Series X|S & PlayStation 5. This complaint seems to have spurred the developer into a weird bit of action.
A new monetization scheme of a monthly subscription for in-game bonuses has just been announced. In essence, players path a monthly fee and get in-game rewards. The GTA+ subscription service will bill players starting March 29, and those that sign up get unique rewards, aimed at encouraging more game time. For $5.99 a month, GTA Online fans can net additional cash, cosmetics, vehicles, and much more.
The older versions of GTA Online have likely been having issues keeping players onboard, hence this approach to bring them back. So far, this monetization scheme will only be available to players on Xbox Series X|S & PlayStation 5. The reasoning for this might seem weird, but it does kind of make sense.
You will get various items and a free cash stipend of in-game currency. The bonuses are pretty varied, and are aimed at veteran players who wish to return to the game to test out new content. It would seem that Rockstar wants players to get just enough of a headstart to unlock the various properties and assets you can own in the game. You won’t get a totally full garage or anything, but the benefits of the GTA+ subscription service might be worthwhile to some.
The company is billing the paid upgrades as possessing “an assortment of gameplay updates.” But what do you actually get? Let’s talk about that.
For the first month, which runs between March 29 and April 27, players will get a bunch of different benefits. Players during this time will see a set of items and cash credited to their accounts. Beyond that time, Rockstar is likely to change what you get for the GTA+ sub from month-to-month. Here’s what you get for the first month.
- Members will find this free cash automatically placed in their Maze Bank accounts.
- The Divest Eight supercar
- Once receiving the car, players can head to Hao’s Special Works for one free exclusive upgrade and two Divest Eight-dedicated liveries.
- New gameplay updates in the La Mesa Auto Shop
- Shop owners can also relocate to the La Mesa for free.
- Free entry into LS Car Meet
- Members who’ve already purchased their way into LS Car Meet will be reimbursed GTA$50,000.
- Gusset Frog Tree and Broker Prolaps Basketball Top and Shorts
- These, along with any other member exclusive cosmetics, will be automatically be sent to player wardrobes.
- Free upgrade to the Aquarius Super Yacht
- Members must own a yacht beforehand to receive the upgrade.
- Conveyor Livery
- Compatible with the Mammoth Avenger, HVY APC, and TM-02 Khanjali.
- 3X GTA$ and RP
- Granted when racing in the Hao’s Special Race Series.
- 2X Car Meet Rep
- Granted when racing in the Street Race Series.