If you’re struggling with money or making progress in Red Dead Redemption 2, we’ve got a new exploit and some cheats that will make your cowboy life a helluva lot easier.
Before doing the exploit, make sure to turn auto-saves off.
Players need to travel to the abandoned town called Limpany, located south of Caliban’s Seat and slightly northwest of Flatneck Station. Look inside the Sheriff’s Office behind the desk. There’s a lockbox containing a Gold Bar there. While you’re bent down looting the box, pause the game and save manually. Do this by selecting Story in the pause menu and selecting Save. The timing is a bit weird, which is why I’d recommend saving before doing this so you can try again if you fail. Reload the same save and go back to the Gold Bar box, you should have 30 Bars in there now, instead of one.
You do have to take Gold Bars to a fence, as you can’t just flog them to a nearby General Store, but this minor detour is worth it, as you can sell your loot for for $500 apiece. And with this duplication glitch, it’s possible to become obscenely wealthy in Red Dead Redemption 2. Make sure to to get on this soon if you want to take advantage, as it’s sure to be patched out very quickly.
You can also repeat this process once you fence the first 30 Gold Bars as many times as you like. Just do the same Save and Load trick during the pickup animation to do this infinitely.
Here’s the location exactly in-game:
But if you’re not in the mood for ruining the in-game economy by duplicating tons of gold, Rockstar has implemented another option for gamers to experiment with being an unstoppable god of cowboys in this open-world game.
The path to godhood is through cheat codes of course. And as with any Rockstar game of the last few years, the developers included a litany of different cheats for the game. Entering the cheats is a bit different from the usual button combos many gamers are used to.
To input the cheats, press start, go to settings, and then press the Triangle/Y button depending on platform of choice. Once there enter in the phrase for the effect desired. Some of the cheat codes require players to purchase a specific newspaper first, and for the newspaper to be in protagonist Arthur Morgan’s inventory when the phrase is submitted.
Bear in mind that using many of these will disable achievements and even story progress, so make a manual save on a separate file before using any of these.
Here’s the full list, along with their effects:
- Create Race Horse – Run! Run! Run!
- Create Circus Wagon – Would you be happier as a clown? (newspaper required)
- Create Wagon – Keep your dreams simple
- Create War Horse – You are a beast built for war (newspaper required)
- Decrease Wanted Level – You want freedom
- Drunk – A fool on command
- Fog of War (reveals map) – You long for sight but see nothing (newspaper required)
- Fortify Health, Stamina, and Dead Eye Bars – You seek more than the world offers (newspaper required)
- Heavy Weapons – Greed is American virtue (newspaper required)
- High Honor – Virtue unearned is not virtue (newspaper required)
- Increase Horse Whistle Range – Better than my dog
- Increase Wanted Level – You want punishment
- Infinite Ammo – Abundance is the dullest desire (newspaper required)
- Infinite Stamina – The lucky be strong evermore (newspaper required)
- Own All Outfits – Vanity. All is vanity
- Reset Honor – Balance. All is balance
- Set Dead Eye Level 3 – I shall be better
- Set Dead Eye Level 5 – I seek and I find
- Set Health, Stamina, Dead Eye Bars to Full – You flourish before you die
- Simple Weapons – A simple life, a beautiful death
- Stealth Weapons – Death is silence
Red Dead Redemption 2 is out now for PS4 and Xbox One.