Since the Switch launched in March 2017, it’s been a great little console. Nintendo has been slowly updating both the console and its game library to the point that it’s a major player in the console game scene. There’s tons of great games and features already built into the platform, which is part of the reason it has managed to sell more than 32 million units since launch.
And with the newest system update, version 8.0.0, Nintendo is giving gamers things they’ve been asking for, more flexibility and better performance.
For one, gamers will be able to track their stats like total play time within their various bits of software now. These stats can be used to sort your games and other bits so you can jump into your most-played titles easily. Sleep mode has also been tweaked to be able to be toggled if power is disconnected.
The big new feature is of course the addition of save data transfers. This has been integrated with cloud functionality to allow saves to be moved between consoles. That same cloud data storage function was introduced in the creation of Nintendo Switch Online, so it’s great to see Nintendo expanding the tool set. And with the upcoming launch of newer and sleeker Switch hardware, gamers may be upgrading to the new platform, and have to take use of that save migration.
The console also got some cosmetic tweaks with this patch. There’s 15 new icons for users to apply to their accounts.
You can find the full patch notes down below if you want to check those out.
Added the following system functionality:
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
- Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon™ 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World™ games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.