The Dead by Daylight Public Test Build is a great way to get to know the game. The PTB allows you to test the game’s newest content before it goes live. It’s not a way to cheat though, as the game changes before launch of new content anyway. Here’s how to get in on the testing periods.
Joining the Dead by Daylight Public Test Build
- Open Steam and the Library page
- Right-click on Dead by Daylight and click on Properties
- A window will open up with various settings on it, click on the Betas tab
- In the Betas tab, open the dropdown menu and click public-test – External Branch for Public Tests
- Restart Steam and the game will make it so you’re playing on the beta branch instead.
Once you make the change, you can then access the test builds of the game. This will be separate from your normal game, so don’t expect progress and unlocks to carry over between the two versions. The upside is that you can test new content early. The developers often refresh the beta build before deploying new content to allow folks to do just that.
If you want to deactivate the PTB, you will need to go back into the Steam settings and go back to that same dropdown. Use that option and change it to NONE to return to the public build.