In the last 24 hours, there has been a flurry of reports from within and without the games industry of credentials being leaked from Call of Duty Warzone accounts. Reports have spread online that publicly available details for some users have been found online, although these are spotty at best. The full scale of a potential hack has been often cited at more than 500,000 accounts, although this is rather dubious without proof of such massive hacking taking place. The original claims seem to have spread like wildfire on Twitter, and it’s just pure bedlam out there.
Due to the potentially widespread nature of the reported Call of Duty hack, a lot of users are rushing to change their passwords. And if that’s something you want to do, here’s how to change your Call of Duty account password.
Activision has denied the rumors and provided multiple statements saying that any users concerned should change their credentials anyway. So that’s probably a good thing to do. It’s also a really good idea to remove any payment info or linked account logins from these accounts as well.
Change your password with any other services that may share your old password as well. It’s a very good idea to go ahead and start using an encrypted password manager. And even if you don’t use it to store passes, at least use it to generate unique and secure passwords for each account you have. It’s also a very good idea to enable two-factor authentication for any accounts, but especially accounts linked to e-mail addresses and any financial accounts.
How To Change Your Activision Account Password
If you need to change your Activision/Call of Duty account password follow these steps:
- Go to the Call of Duty account password recovery page.
- Enter the email address that was used to create your account and select Submit.
- Instructions for resetting your password will be sent to the email address you entered.
- Check your email and follow the RESET YOUR PASSWORD link provided to reset your password. The link will be valid for 24 hours and can only be used once.
- Enter a new password according to the password requirements:
- Must be between 8 and 20 characters long.
- Must contain at least one letter and one number.
- May not contain sequential characters (e.g. ABC, 123, jkl).
- May not repeat the same character (e.g. XX, aa, 33).
- Select Save.