Warner Bros. and developer Jam City have released new details for the mobile game Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, along with a gameplay trailer. It’s due out later this year for iOS and Android devices. It will be distributed by Portkey Games, a new Warner Bros. label created specifically to help developers work within the Harry Potter IP.
Magic Spells, Potions & More
– Attend classes to learn and master magical skills like casting spells and brewing potions.
– Unlock new characters, spells, potions and locations as you advance through the years of Hogwarts.
– Customize your student avatar.
Mystery and Adventure
– Use your magical skills to investigate mysteries at Hogwarts.
– Discover the truth behind the Cursed Vaults and your brother’s disappearance in an all new story.
Friendships that Matter
– Bond with your housemates to win the House Cup.
– Go on quests to help friends and fellow students…or frustrate rivals.
– Earn respect and build relationships by adventuring together.
You take the role of the title character in your own adventure into the Wizarding world of Great Britain. There are a lot of RPG mechanics at play in this game. Your character will need to attend classes and learn new spells and abilities to progress through the story. The other major component is the social element that means you’ll have to build relationships with other players and NPCs if you really want to succeed at Hogwarts.
A custom randomized encounter system means your decisions will impact quests to create your own Hogwarts story. You aren’t a super-powered god/goddess, so you’ll need to be creative to overcome some of the more difficult challenges.
The game’s timeline takes place shortly before the return of Harry Potter to Wizarding Britain, so many of the iconic professors will be a part of your journey.