E3 2016 Recap
The E3 excitement started today with press conferences from EA and Bethesda, featuring announcements, trailers, and a whole lot of cheering. Some of the biggest games shown today were Titanfall 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Dishonored 2, and a new Prey game. Intersting tidbits like a new Battlefield 1 trailer, a slew of new sports games from EA and even a new Skyrim edition graced us on the first day.
Day two was likely E3 2016’s biggest day. We had press conferences from Microsoft and Sony, each with lots of gameplay trailers (though Sony did have more surprises), as well as lots of new details from Ubisoft. Lots of interesting new titles, sequels and remakes were trotted out on day 2. Several big name franchises like Tekken, Dragonball, Final Fantasy and more all got new gameplay and trailers for thirsty gamers to fawn over. So much more was announced over the course of the event, check the link below for more details.
Xbox premiered a wide range of games launching in 2016 and beyond for Xbox One and Windows 10, including a mix of exclusives, blockbusters and independent games through the [email protected] program.
- ARK: SURVIVAL EVOLVED (FIRST ON XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10). The wildly popular indie game from Studio Wildcard has sold over 1 million copies on Xbox One via Game Preview, and is soon coming to Windows 10. Stranded naked, freezing and starving on a mysterious island, you must hunt, harvest, craft items, grow crops and build shelters to survive. Learn how to tame, train, breed and ride dinosaurs and primitive creatures living on the ARK as you forge new paths across the beautiful open world in this large-scale survival game. Team up with hundreds of players online, play split-screen locally or brave the island on your own.
- BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS). Featuring some of the largest, most dynamic battles in FPS history, experience the dawn of all-out war across war-torn France, in the sand dunes of the Arabian Desert, and in the skies over London – only in Battlefield 1. Join in massive 64-player battles and experience unexpected Only in Battlefield moments during a time where the old world was destroyed, giving way to the new one. Play it first, exclusively on Xbox One with EA Access beginning October 13. Available worldwide on Xbox One and Windows PC on October 21, 2016.
- DEAD RISING 4 (WORLD PREMIERE). Developed by Capcom Vancouver, Dead Rising 4 marks the return of photojournalist Frank West in an all-new chapter of one of the most popular zombie game franchises of all time. With an unmatched level of weapon and character customization, ambitious new features including new zombie classes and EXO Suits, Dead Rising 4 delivers a heart-pounding experience as players explore, scavenge and fight to survive in an epic open-world sandbox. Available Holiday 2016 on Xbox One and Windows 10.
- FINAL FANTASY XV (SQUARE ENIX). Final Fantasy XV is the highly anticipated action RPG and 15th mainline entry in the iconic Final Fantasy Set in an enthralling world where fantasy meets reality, players will join Crown Prince Noctis and his comrades on an epic journey of brotherhood, love and despair as they unravel Noctis’s destiny and take up arms against the nefarious Niflheim empire. With a captivating cast of characters, breathtaking visuals, open world exploration and action-packed real time combat, Final Fantasy XV is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY experience for fans and newcomers to the series. Available worldwide for Xbox One on September 30, 2016.
- FORZA HORIZON 3 (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE — WORLD PREMIERE). The best-selling racing franchise returns with Forza Horizon 3. Race and explore the rugged wonder of Australia with your friends in over 350 of the world’s greatest cars as you win millions of new fans and build the world’s greatest automotive festival. As the new boss of the Horizon Festival, you can modify every aspect of race events, and how you get to the finish is up to you. Available worldwide as an Xbox Play Anywhere title on Sept. 27, 2016.
- GEARS OF WAR 4 (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE). A new saga begins for one of the most acclaimed video game franchises in history. After narrowly escaping an attack on their village, JD Fenix and his friends Kait and Del must rescue the ones they love and discover the source of a monstrous new enemy. Gears of War 4 returns the franchise to the dark tone and intensity of the original and includes split-screen and online co-op, the next generation of the five-player favorite, Horde Mode, 60 frames-per-second Versus multiplayer, and stunning visuals powered by Unreal Engine 4. Available worldwide as an Xbox Play Anywhere title on Oct. 11, 2016.
- GWENT (WORLD PREMIERE OF CLOSED BETA ON XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10). Gwent, the hit card game from CD PROJEKT RED’s game of the year – The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – is now its own standalone collectable card game. Inspired by player feedback, with new rules and mechanics, Gwent puts players and their style of play, and not only their cards, in the center of the action. In Gwent, You are the Wild Card.
- HALO WARS 2 (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE). The best-selling console real-time strategy (RTS) of all time is back! Developed in partnership by 343 Industries and Creative Assembly, Halo Wars 2 is an action-packed RTS on the biggest Halo battlefield ever. Get ready to lead armies of Spartans and other Halo fighting forces like Warthogs, Scorpions and exciting new units in a brutal war against a terrifying new enemy, The Banished. Available worldwide as an Xbox Play Anywhere title on Feb. 21, 2017.
- INSIDE (FIRST ON XBOX ONE). Developed by Playdead, INSIDE is the long-awaited follow-up to 2010’s groundbreaking digital hit Limbo. Featuring Playdead’s trademark dark art, emotion and game craft, this adventure puzzler ships June 29, 2016, and is available for pre-order now. To celebrate the launch, Limbo will be free to all Xbox players from June 13‒
- MINECRAFT (REALMS AND ADD-ONS). Mojang and Microsoft showcased cross-device multiplayer between iOS, Android, Samsung Gear VR and Windows 10 devices, made possible with Monday’s launch of the “Friendly Update” for Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta and Minecraft: Pocket Edition. With Xbox Live and the Minecraft Realms service, Windows 10 and mobile Minecraft players can host their own multiplayer worlds on private, cloud-based servers and play with friends 24/7, even when the original world creator is offline. Starting today, players with Xbox Live accounts can try Minecraft Realms on mobile and Windows 10 free for one month through the Minecraft The team also announced new game add-ons coming this fall that will let players modify their in-game worlds to customize key game elements and create their own maps and minigames.
- RECORE (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE). From legendary video game creator Keiji Inafune and Armature Studio LLC, the team behind the Metroid Prime series, comes ReCore, an action-adventure game masterfully crafted for the modern generation. Play as Joule, one of the last remaining humans, and forge friendships with courageous robot companions to lead them on an epic adventure through a mysterious, dynamic world. Available worldwide as an Xbox Play Anywhere title starting Sept. 13, 2016.
- SEA OF THIEVES (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE). Developed by Rare, the legendary creators of Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie, Sea of Thieves is an immersive, shared world adventure game filled with pirates, unexpected dangers and loot for the taking. Be the pirates you want to be, share adventures with friends, and set your own rules, roles and goals in a world where every sail on the horizon is another crew of players with unknown intent. Sea of Thieves offers an experience that will evolve over time, landing in players’ hands early and growing based on feedback from the community.
- STATE OF DECAY 2 (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE, WORLD PREMIERE). The next installment in the fan favorite State of Decay franchise immerses you in an all-new multiplayer zombie survival fantasy. Players work together to build lasting communities where choices made shape an interconnected world and form a unique experience every time. Available worldwide as an Xbox Play Anywhere title in 2017.
- SCALEBOUND (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE). From critically acclaimed developer PlatinumGames Inc. and renowned Game Director Hideki Kamiya, Scalebound brings epic adventures and battles at enormous scales across the beautiful and dangerous open world of Draconis. Customize main hero Drew and your dragon, Thuban, to suit your playstyle as you battle legions of soldiers and massive monsters solo or cooperatively with up to three additional friends on Xbox Live. Available worldwide as an Xbox Play Anywhere title in 2017.
- TACOMA (FIRST ON XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10). It is the year 2088, and humanity has taken to the stars. You step aboard the abandoned space station Tacoma, the facility’s Augmented Reality technology your only connection to the crew that once lived here. What happened to them — and what role did the station’s AI overseer, ODIN, play? Discover the truth in Tacoma, Fullbright’s follow-up to the genre-defining story exploration game Gone Home, when it comes to Windows 10 and Xbox One next year.
- TEKKEN 7 (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT INC.). An engrossing story intertwines the past, present and future fates of fan-favorite characters in Tekken 7. Known for revolutionizing the fighting genre through both its hard-hitting gameplay and diverse cast of characters, Tekken 7 introduces enhanced fight mechanics alongside a slew of new combatants to ensure that your next fight won’t ever be your last. Available worldwide for Xbox One in early 2017.
- TOM CLANCY’S THE DIVISION – EXPANSION I: UNDERGROUND (UBISOFT). Dive into the underbelly of New York to save what remains in Underground, the first expansion for Tom Clancy’s The Division. Explore the randomly generated mazes of subways, tunnels and sewers to fight deadly enemies and recover powerful loot. Experience an all-new incursion and find the latest weapons, gear and more. Available first on Xbox One and Windows PC beginning June 28.
- WE HAPPY FEW (FIRST TO CONSOLE ON XBOX ONE). Developed by Compulsion Games, We Happy Few is coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One this summer. In a dystopian, mod 1964 England that lost World War II, the citizens of Wellington Wells are taking a happy drug called “Joy,” and living in denial of their grim existence and a terrible past. Can you survive among them once you stop taking your Joy become a “Downer?”
ISKMogul is a growing video game publication that got its start covering EVE Online, and has since expanded to cover a large number of topics and niches within the purview of gaming.