Yes, I know, that headline is the last thing most gamers expect to hear at this point. Everyone assumed Anthem was dead, as player numbers have ostensibly plummeted. But it looks like BioWare is still chugging away at it. Anthem Icetide 1.6 is the latest update to the struggle shooter, and surprisingly, it actually includes some new content. OK I’m being a little harsh, Anthem getting new content and patches is good news. So let’s crack it open and see what BioWare has thrown in now.
The patch includes new content, first and foremost. Icetide is the moniker for the new batch of story quests centered around strange and localized storm systems blowing into Bastion. It’s pretty obvious that it’s a cover for a holiday-themed event, but those folks trapped in-universe don’t need to know that. Fort Tarsis has been redecorated with a new theme, and Strongholds too. The patch even has a themed Stronghold that’s locked to Icetide, including new War Chests.
The event kicks off a handful of new challenges, collectibles and other goodies players can find. And yes, there’s some lore snippets buried in there too.
Audio, graphical and network issues aplenty have been nixed with the 1.6 patch as well. Because it’s Anthem, there’s always bugs to smash. A handful of bugs involving player models and enemy models colliding improperly or getting stuck have been fixed. Hopefully this, combined with all the other massive Anthem patches released, maybe things can be stable now.
Check below for the full patch notes and all of the related details. Anyone who wants to dig in just has to boot up Origin and download the patch.
Anthem Icetide Update 1.6 Patch Notes
Welcome to Icetide – Shaper devices have brought localized ice storms into Bastion, bringing excitement with every glittering snowflake across the region. Ice is rare here, but when it arrives, people know that Icetide celebrations will soon follow. Holiday lights shine throughout Fort Tarsis, their bright colors sparkling on blankets of snow
Seasonal Themed Strongholds – Each week a different featured seasonal Stronghold will unlock for players—now including score leaderboards. If you’re up to the challenge, compete with other Freelancers for the highest score. Visit the Seasonal Store to exchange your Crystal for War Chests.
Freeplay Time Trials – Have you ever wanted to put your javelin flight and navigation skills to the test? Join Freeplay, and race through eight time trials that can be found in Bastion. Try to beat our Gold times!
New Legendary World Event: Icetide Coolant Harvesting – Help the Arcanist harvest precious coolant resources while fighting off the outlaw forces that are trying to steal it from you.
New Challenges – Explore the Challenges to see vanity rewards! Gain new armor sets, special time trial wraps, and more.
New Hidden Collectables – Explore the region to find all Festive Wreaths.
Icetide Cortex Entries – Explore the region to find new story entries to add to your Cortex.
More Powerful Drops in Grandmaster 3 – All Legendary loot drops on GM3 now drop with +5 Gear Score.
New Tomb of Legionnaires Offering – New Guardians’ Tokens are granted through daily and weekly challenges. Freelancers can make offerings of a Guardian Token and additional crafting materials within the Tombs of the Legionnaires to gain a random Legendary item. Each tomb grants different items, but all items have a +5 gear score.
- Tomb of Artinia: Legendary Weapons
- Tomb of Cariff: Legendary Gear
- Tomb of Yvenia: Legendary Support Gear and Universal Components
- Tomb of Gawnes: Legendary Melee Weapons and Javelin-Specific Components
New Seasonal Cosmetic Items – Visit the Featured Store throughout the season for new Icetide-themed cosmetics.
New Short Stories – In addition to these new features, keep an eye on our Anthem News Page for all new Icetide-themed short stories from our writing team!?
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Fixed various crashes to improve stabilization.
- Fixed various texture and lighting scenarios.
- Fixed various art collision issues that allowed players to access unintended areas.
- Fixed various audio issues.
- Fixed multiple breadcrumbing trails appearing in Freeplay. Fast Travel to the Tomb of Legionnaires is now enabled. Map pins have been updated to better communicate the ability to fast travel.
- Added new options to disable various parts of the UI
- These options are visible under Settings -> Interface -> HUD
- Added a tutorial for the self-respawn feature.
- You can respawn yourself closer to your squadmates by holding down the R3 button
- The Colossus can no longer become stuck in cages within Temple of Scar.
- The Sunken Cell stronghold mission now correctly appears above the Heart of Rage mission in the journal.
- Resolved an issue causing the Forge Menu to not appear while in the Forge Screen.
- Fixed an issue that allowed the Synchronized Frame to trigger without an enemy being hit.
- The Ranger Combo Augment component craft recipe now displays “Impact Combo Damage”.
- Fixed an issue causing Incremental Archives to not spawn as often as expected.
- Fixed an issue preventing the fog wall from vanishing after the objective is completed in Temple of Scar.
- Forge Icons for Barrage, Garroter, and Stampede have been updated to match the default color scheme of the javelin.
- Increased the health of the generators for the Sleeping Titan event.
- Legendary Fortress of Dawn now spawns its chest and finishes appropriately.
- Fixed an issue where Balm of Gavinicus was incorrectly dealing damage on impact.