Nintendo is going all-in on the Summer feel with the Summer update, adding diving and swimming, but that’s not all. Along with all the new stuff, there’s also a large population of deep-sea creatures coming to your island as well.
For starters, you need to stop by the Nook ATM and grab both a Snorkel and wetsuit from the Nook Shop. Once you have that, you can simply walk to the water’s edge and wade into the ocean. You can also leap off of the dock on your island, or the beach rocks too. The deep-sea spawns are the latest addition to ACNH, and they bring new pages to the Critterpedia and more. You get a bunch of recipes to craft and goals to chase.
Pascal leads the charge as the NPC that represents the new content. He brings a batch of new DIY Crafting Recipes for furniture and other items that do with Pearls and other sea-based items. These recipes should be able to be found anytime, as long as you can dive in the ocean. That means anytime in the future it looks like, since Nintendo is pretty good about supporting Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
The trick with these is to look for the bubbles. Holding A on the controller will let you swim faster. Release A to slow down to a crawl. When you see bubbles coming up to the service, that’s what you’re after. Swim over to the bubbles and get close, then hit X to dive down. There are a few dozen different fishies, all of which can be donated to the Museum or sold.
Players will notice that they don’t get Pearls from this process. That’s where Pascal comes in.
How To Find Pascal, Scallops, and Pearls
Pascal is a new NPC added with the new sea diving mechanics. The little red otter will sometimes spawn around. You’ll see the goofball floating around, although sometimes he will creepily popup behind you when you catch a sea creature.
Each time you get certain deep-sea captures there is a chance that you will see him pop up around you. He will talk to you and ask to leave your catch behind. He will dive down and take it. Dive back down and you will find the present he left behind. You can only encounter Pascal once per day.
Every single item in the Mermaid Furniture Set requires at least 1-3 Pearls to craft at a DIY Workbench. That means you’re going to need to do some work here to get them all. Check the list below for the Recipes and the required items to craft them.
All Mermaid Items in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Mermaid Sofa – one pearl, 10 sand dollars
- Mermaid Rug – one pearl, three sand dollars
- Mermaid Vanity – one pearl, one giant clam, two coral, two iron nuggets
- Mermaid Dresser – two pearls, one giant clam, three coral
- Mermaid Bed – two pearls, two giant clams, five sand dollars
- Mermaid Chair – one pearl, two giant clams, two sand dollars
- Mermaid Lamp – one pearl, three conch, two coral, two iron nuggets
- Mermaid Shelf – one pearl, one giant clam, four coral
- Mermaid Wall Clock – one pearl, three sea snails, two coral, two iron nuggets
- Mermaid Screen – two pearls, three giant clams, five sand dollars
- Mermaid Closet – two pearls, one giant clam, two coral, five sand dollars
- Mermaid Table – one pearl, four sand dollars
- Mermaid Flooring – two pearls, five sand dollars, five stones
- Mermaid Wall – two pearls, two sea snails, two sand dollars, two coral, two giant clams